Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Salt Lake, UT
Serving Weber County
You probably need to make a decision about hiring a motorcycle lawyer because you have been in a crash. You also have probably looked at other motorcycle lawyer websites and thought we all offer the same thing – “we will fight hard for you” – “we are the best” – “we… fill in the blank – bla-bla-bla.” How are you supposed to make a decision?
Well… we are different…
First of all…
I am the owner of Utah Bike Law and I am the motorcycle accident attorney who handles your case. This is not so in the large personal injury firms where your case will probably be assigned to an associate or junior attorney. This means I have a vested interest in doing the best possible job I can for you – why – because Utah Bike Law is my firm and I care deeply about the outcome of your case.
I have been a motorcycle rider for over 30 years. I ride my motorcycle to work almost every day. I love riding my motorcycle. So what, you might ask. Well, I think it takes a motorcycle accident attorney who actually rides a motorcycle to appreciate – I mean really appreciate – how the crash happened. If you are not a motorcycle rider you can not understand, really understand, how the crash happened. This means I can make strong arguments in your behalf to get the best value for your case.
I am a registered nurse. This is important because, as a registered nurse, I can read your medical records and make sense of them and then use that knowledge to convince the insurance companies to pay fair value for your injuries from your motorcycle crash.
There is the impression that when there is a car-motorcycle accident, it is the motorcyclist who is at fault. Society often imagines motorcycle enthusiasts as reckless people who weave in and out of traffic and basically behave as a menace on the road. When you have an attorney with experience in motorcycle accidents, you will have a strong advocate who can show this is not the case with you.
You need an accident attorney who is skilled at taking cases to trial. This is important because insurance companies know the attorneys who will, and will not, take cases to trial. The insurance companies often pay more on claims when represented by an attorney who is ready, willing and able to go to trial if necessary. We go to trial if necessary, however most cases settle short of trial. Having said that, the insurance companies will only pay top dollar if they know you will go to trial when necessary.
For these cases, you need a motorcycle accident attorney more than a general personal injury practitioner. Motorcycles handle differently and it often takes an attorney who actually rides motorcycles to understand how these accidents occur. An attorney who does not ride may not always understand the need to avoid over-correction or the fact that motorcycles do not stop as quickly as cars without putting their operators in danger.
The seriousness of your injuries also demands legal assistance. Accidents, whether they happen in a car or motorcycle, will change your life at least in the short term. You will need time for recovery and funds are often tight if you cannot go to work. The last thing you need to worry about while dealing with your injuries is communicating with insurance companies and hoping your medical bills are covered. Your attorney can handle those tasks while you focus on recovery.
Did You Know…
This is due to the unique risks that motorcycles face. Their properties naturally leave them more vulnerable on the road and when there is an accident, it is almost always serious. Challenges frequently experienced by motorcyclists include:
- Visibility. Being smaller, drivers have to watch out for motorcycles better. Motorcyclists get caught in blind spots, obscured by other cars and trucks, and concealed by weather conditions, including fog and heavy rain. This especially becomes a disadvantage at intersections where drivers may not always wait their turn to proceed.
- Road Hazards.Oil slicks, standing water and potholes are mere annoyances to a motorist but for a motorcyclist, they can be a disaster. Avoidance maneuvers can also propel the motorcycle into the path of other vehicles which risks a crash.
- The “Wobble” Effect. In product liability cases involving motorcycles, the “wobble” is discussed frequently. This is when the front end becomes unstable and shakes or “wobbles.” When this occurs, the motorcyclist can lose control.
- Riding Skills. Inexperienced motorcyclists can frequently put themselves in danger. That is why education courses are highly recommended if you are a new rider.
When a motorcycle is hit by a car, the results are more much more serious than when two cars collide. That often leads to an intense investigation of negligence theories and a long recovery from serious injuries.
Negligence and Accidents…
Motorcyclists often face injuries due to the negligence of another motorist. Shortcomings in driving that leads to these accidents often arise from:
- Following a motorcycle too closely;
- Failure to keep proper lookout;
- Failure to yield right-of-way to a motorcycle (often due to a failure to keep a lookout);
- Passing too closely or “sharing” the lane;
- Deliberate intimidation of a motorcyclist;
- Product defects, such as in “wobble” cases
In most motorcycle accident cases, another driver is held liable. Drivers do not always check their blind spots or make the extra effort to watch for motorcycles. In product liability cases, injured victims can pursue manufacturers and even repair facilities for damages.
Compiling evidence for a motorcycle case is similar to car accidents but you have to know the hazards. Reviewing police reports and locating witnesses helps build an accident case. If the motorcyclist suffered a head injury or other condition that affects memory, attorneys can also bring in an accident reconstruction expert.
Contact George at Utah Bike Law
OK – we will stop blowing our own horn. If you need help or just some simple straight answers about your accident case, contact us and we will be happy to help you out – however we can. By the way – if you are in a crash and need immediate help call and leave a message – the message goes directly to my cell phone and I will get back to you ASAP!